[Gmsh] Space Navigator

Bernhard Kubicek bernhard.kubicek at arsenal.ac.at
Wed Apr 30 15:26:49 CEST 2008

Hi there,
As a (newly) proud owner of a 3dconnextion space navigator
http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacenavigator.php
I also would like to use it with gmsh in linux.
Searching for some demo source code, I was quite sucessful, and already
managed to access the device by the attached code, which I changed a bit
(sadly using c++) to find the correct event device automatically. Its
not high quality code yet, i only spend 15 min on changing it.

However, to add a patch to support this space mouse in gmsh, I would
need to add a polling routine to gmsh, that is exectued e.g. each 50 ms
and checks the device for the current position, and changes the view
angles accordingly.

Where in the source would be a good point to hook this into gmsh??

I really havent looked into how to access the device in windows.

very nice greetings,
 Bernhard

PS: the thing works awsome under windows, as expected, but only with
supported software, e.g. pro engineer. In linux, there is a plugin for
blender and maya, which both I both don't really care about. Google
earth only works in windows. Also, on could in principle steer the mouse
cursor with the space mouse, but I wonder what that should be good
for...