[Gmsh] Imported stl mesh size control

Ashton Peters ashton.peters at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Jun 8 22:41:20 CEST 2008

> Hi Ashton - The case of STL files is a bit special: since there is no
> CAD, Gmsh infers the size of the elements inside from the size of the
> elements on the boundary. To disable this, use
>
> Mesh.CharacteristicLengthExtendFromBoundary = 0;
>
> Then you can fix the size inside using the usual options, e.g.:
>
> Mesh.CharacteristicLengthMax = the_max_elem_size_you_want;

Thanks for the reply. What you suggested partially works for me - now the size of the interior elements can be controlled. The size of the surface elements remains the same as the stl though. What I want to do is control the size of all elements, including the surface triangulation. Does Gmsh have the ability to 'remesh' the surface of an stl before filling in the 3D volume with tets?

Regards,

Ashton