[Gmsh] GMSH IGES? / Tetrahedrons?

Brenda Ellen Make brendieellen at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 23:25:45 CEST 2008

Hi,

I would like to output an IGES enclosed surface model and input it into
GMSH for meshing with 3D tetrahedrons, and also a triangle surfaces.
When I tried to import a IGES, even the same IGES which can imports
successfully into Netgen(1), all I see are splines, and perhaps what
looks like a small crumpled surface.

Does GMSH require one specific IGES format for input?

~

Also, having a student version of Rhino3D, I asked them to develop a
..msh file format : )

Thank You for Reading,
BrendaEM

Notes:

I'm trying to learn FEA on Impact and perhaps Calculix, but perhaps do
some experiments with Dophyn CFD, and it's hard to get the programs
talking to one another.
I believe that Gmsh is a very important program for students because so
many programs can read its file format.

Netgen:
   (1) I can load iges surfaces into Netgen
    I can't seem to mesh what I want Netgen because, at the overridden
coarsest settings the mesh is much to fine for my files.

Impact:
    Impact can load Gmsh .msh files, but not ones from Netgen. The files
can be saved in Gmsh's .msh format, can loaded.
    Have successfully FEA on surfaces.
    As seen on the Impact list, changing these values in the script, or
modifying a material eliminated tearing:     FAILURE_STRESS = 4481367
YIELD_STRESS = 3309316
    You can select multiple nodes by lassoing them, as not seen in the
tutorials.

OpenCAE:
    Salome doesn't care for my hardware, and I have no 3D acceleration.
    Would rather they provided a apt-get repository, than to recreate
the wheel.
    One person got Salome working for Ubuntu. (Haven't tried it yet.)

http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/?groupid=10&forumid=9&thread=1990
    Don't hold your breath for the Windows version of Solome.