[Gmsh] gmsh gives a GSL error when generating mesh

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Mon Jun 30 16:06:23 CEST 2008

Artur Palha wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I am trying to compile version 2.2.2 of gmsh on my ubuntu machine (the
> respositories version is older).
>
> gmsh compiles ok. The problem comes when I try to generate a mesh,
> then it show the message console with the following error, continuosly
> showing:
>
> GSL: second index out of range (matrix_source.c, line 35)
>
> I donwloaded the last version of gsl, compiled it and made a prefix
> for configure to use this latest version but the problems persists...
>
> Can you give me a help on what might be causing the problem?

Hi Artur - Meshes with order > 2 are not yet officially supported. Use
only first and second order elements for now.

> Another question: is gmsh able to generate quad elements?

Only with structured algorithms for now (transfinite/extrusion), or
combined with triangles (cf. "Recombine" command). A full-quad algorithm
is in preparation.

> Yet another question: I generated a mesh with a previous version of
> gmsh and I got elements of type 27 and 23 (I was using 4th order on
> the boundaries) can anyone explain me what this is, since on the
> manual element type goes only until 19.

Don't use order > 2 for now.