[Gmsh] gmsh slicing splitting

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Mon Jun 30 16:45:09 CEST 2008

Dr Christopher S Kirk wrote:
> Hi
>
> Will you be kind enough to tell me if Gmsh can split a 3-D mesh into two parts and remesh the central flat plane?

Hi Chris - you could use the "Cut Plane" plugin for this:

- apply the plugin twice, once with ExtractVolume=1, then with
ExtractVolume=-1

- merge the elements from both views (View->Combine Elements)

- save the view as a mesh (View->Save as)

However, the quality of the resulting mesh will most probably be very
bad (since you might split elements arbitrarily close to mesh vertices).

> Additionally, does Gmsh have a routine that would enable calculation of the volume of the enclosed space covered by the mesh?

You could use the Integrate plugin for that (integrate "1").