[Gmsh] Meshing STL File

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Tue Jul 1 13:16:00 CEST 2008

jbi35 at student.canterbury.ac.nz wrote:
> Hello Christophe,
>
> yes I can send you the stl files with which the problem occurs. Please find two stl files
> of the same geometry but different element sizes attached to this email

Hi Jonas - The problem comes from the STL import: since there is no
connectivity in STL files, Gmsh has to use a geometrical tolerance to
determine when vertices are identical.

The default tolerance is a bit to large in your case, resulting in nodes
being merged that shouldn't have been. Add

Geometry.Tolerance = 1.e-12;

at the begining of your .geo file: it will decrease the tolerance and
should fix the problem.