[Gmsh] gmsh and STL import and boundaries

Rich Bayless rbayless at energykinetics.com
Thu Jul 3 18:01:23 CEST 2008

Hello,

I'd like to import an STL file (from Solidworks), select some of the edges
or surfaces, and then create boundaries (Physical edge, Physical surface)
from those edges or surfaces, followed by meshing and saving.  Next step
would be to convert the mesh with boundaries into Elmer format using
Elmergrid.

I saw some posts saying to import an STL file, and then save the surface
mesh as a .msh, reload the mesh and it would detect the edges.  This doesn't
work for me, or at least, I don't know how to make it work.  Any guidance
would be appreciated!

I'm using gmsh 2.2.2 for Windows XP.

Here is my .geo file,

Merge "C:/GMSH/samples/Tube/Tube1.stl";