[Gmsh] generate 3D mesh without the 1D and 2D elements

Shi Jin jinzishuai at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 10 23:29:54 CEST 2008

Hi there,

Every time I generate a mesh with gmsh in 3D, there will be 1D and 2D elements listed in the .msh file. However, for my simulation, I don't really need the 1D and 2D elements. Is there a way to get rid of them?

In addition, I am just wondering what roles the 1D and 2D elements are playing. If I have second order curved elements, by opening a .msh file with 1D and 2D elements, I can see the curved lines behind the mesh. However, if I remove the 1D and 2D elements by hand, I am still able to get the mesh but the curved lines woul
d disappear. How would the 1D and 2D elements affect this?

Thank you very much.
Shi

 --
Shi Jin, PhD