[Gmsh] problems with postprocessing format ($NodeData section)

Paulo Vieira paulovieira at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 17:28:12 CEST 2008

Hello all,

I'm having some problems in understanding the postprocessing sections of
Gmsh's native file format (section 9 of the manual,
http://geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh-full.html#SEC62 ).

Consider this simple handmade example constituted by 6 nodes and 2 elements
(see the attached file, or at the bottom of the
message).

The mesh sections are fine ($Nodes, $Elements). Now I want to add a
$NodeData section. The example I made doesn't read if
the $NodeData section is present ("Filling PViewDataGModel... Could not read
data in msh file" - see the log attached).

Questions:

1- Do the string tags need to have a "" (or '') ?

2- According to the manual,

"By default the first string-tag is interpreted as the name of the
post-processing view, and the second as the name of the
interpolation scheme."

 Is this second tag mandatory? Where can I find more information about the
interpolation schemes available?

3- What is the purpose of the real-tags in the postprocessing sections?

It seems the problem with my example is related to one or more of these
issues, but I don't know what to do. I think a
simple example in the manual would make things much clearer.

Thanks for your help.

Paulo

$MeshFormat
2.0 0 8