[Gmsh] Hello, and a question about which file type

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Wed Aug 13 16:29:54 CEST 2008

Neil Hodge wrote:
> All:
>
> I have recently started using gmsh, and it seems that it will suit my
> needs nicely.
>
> That being said, it appears that there will still be a bit of a
> learning curve.  So, my first question is: which file type should I
> use?  Notes:
>
> * I will be using gmsh (at least initially) only for post-processing,
> as I typically do everything else myself.  So, I need to write a file
> containing results to be able to use gmsh.
>
> * My field is mostly solid mechanics, with a few other things thrown
> in.  So, I need to be able to 1) plot scalar, vector, and tensor
> quantities 2) at both nodes and elements 3) on unstructured meshes 4)
> that are changing in time.
>
> * I would like to use ascii files, as my problems are typically quite
> small, and ascii files will be easier to debug.
>
> I notice that most of the questions on this mailing list seem to refer
> to the "pos" ascii file type, indicating that it is being used by more
> people, but the manual intimates that "msh" 2.0 files are the
> preferred format.
>
> So, given my requirements, which file type should I use?

Hello Neil - For small datasets it doesn't really matter: any format
will do...

* the old parsed .pos format is very easy to use: it does not require an
underlying mesh (connectivity), so it's possible to write it on the fly,
just like a plotting format. Cons: it does not scale well for large
(especially "continuous") datasets.

* the new .msh format is bit less flexible (it is tied to one or more
meshes), but it scales much better for large datasets. Cons: not all the
features available with the old format are implemented yet in the new
one (labels, high-order visu, some plugins, etc.).

Both formats will be maintained for a long time. Gmsh allows you to
convert one format into the other either in the GUI or from the command
line.

Hope this helps,

Christophe