[Gmsh] the piston exsample

wing yongjin.liu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 15:39:28 CEST 2008

Jean-François Remacle wrote:
> wing a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just compiled 2.2.4 with opencascade support and now I can import
>> .stp geometries. Then I tried a 'piston' example, the attached
>> (piston.jpg, piston.msh) is the result I got. But I noticed that it's
>> very different from the example in the gmsh home page
>> (http://geuz.org/gmsh/gallery/piston.png). Seems that my output is
>> too rough (the mesh elements are too big). What am I doing wrong? How
>> to get a more nice result like what is in the gmsh homepage?
>
> You should define an appropriate size field.
> Try for example
>
> gmsh -clscale .2 piston.brep
>
> JFR

Hi JFR,

Thanks for help, it works.
I found that it also can be done in the GUI (Tools -> Option -> Mesh ->
General -> Element Size Factor). I think it's a good idea to  generate a
'trial' mesh with the default Element Size Factor = 1.00, and then
regulate it to a proper number based on the 'trial' result. Hope this
helps the other who are not so good at command line and prefer GUI (if
there is anyone).

Regards,
wing