[Gmsh] gmsh crashes when importing an IGES file

Mark van Doesburg mark.van.doesburg at technolution.nl
Mon Oct 20 09:42:07 CEST 2008

Hello Christophe,

In the mean time I've read some more about  the IGES format. It seems it
is able to encode information in both solid and BREP modes. The default
export of BRL-CAD is solid mode. When I let use faceting to generate
the IGES model it all works. Unfortunately the model is then completely
built with triangles, but it will do the job.

Thanks for your help an great application,

Mark van Doesburg.

Christophe Geuzaine <cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be> wrote:

	Mark van Doesburg wrote:
	> Hello,
	>
	> I am trying to import a simple IGES file into GMSH. Unfortunately GMSH
	> crashes when reading the attached file, the file only contains a cylinder
	> and was created with BRL-CAD.
	>
	> The program segfaults just after the message "- fixing spot and strip
	> faces" should be displayed. Using the debugger I've been able to see
	> that entity = 0xfefdfefdfefd0000 which means it was uninitialized,
	> I am not sure where to look next.

	If I uncheck the "Remove small edges/faces from OpenCascade models" in
	Options->Geometry->General the file loads without warnings, but the
	models appears to be empty...

	As a general rule, try to avoid IGES files: they don't contain the
	topology. If at all possible use STEP files instead.