[Gmsh] Mesh file with physical entities

Rudolf Hellmuth rudolf.hellmuth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 20:52:16 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm meshing a geometry with 6 different physical entities, points and lines.
I'm having problems with the mesh file. I wanted to have an output as the
format version 2 described in manual, but it isn't in the same format. For
better handling the output information, I'd like to have the node list,
element list and a list for each physical entity. I'm getting the node and
element list but not the physical one. I'll exemplify:

I wanted, as manual:

$MeshFormat
2 0 8
$EndMeshFormat
$Nodes
746
1 .435 3 0
$EndNodes
$Elements
844
1 15 3 5 1 0 1
$EndElements
$PhysicalNames
8
1 "cx"
$EndPhysicalNames
$NodeData
6
"cx"
number-of-real-tags
< real-tag >
number-of-integer-tags
< integer-tag >
node-number value ...
$EndNodeData
$ElementData
number-of-string-tags
< "string-tag" >
number-of-real-tags
< real-tag >
number-of-integer-tags
< integer-tag >
elm-number value ...
$EndElementData
$ElementNodeData
number-of-string-tags
< "string-tag" >
number-of-real-tags
< real-tag >
number-of-integer-tags
< integer-tag >
elm-number number-of-nodes-per-element value ...
$ElementEndNodeData

But I'm getting:
$MeshFormat
2 0 8
$EndMeshFormat
$PhysicalNames
8
1 "cx"
$EndPhysicalNames
$Nodes
746
1 0.5 0 0
$EndNodes
$Elements
844
1 15 3 5 1 0 1
$EndElements
====================================

Plus, there are duplicated points and elements, which belongs to more than
one physical entity. The output format is set for v. 2
(Mesh.MshFileVersion=2;).

Is there an option that I should set on?

I'd like to transfer this mesh to Calculix (an Abaqus like FEM solver). I
think the way the manual presents format version 2 shall let easier to do
that.

I have an other issue; I tried to find a text file with all the options
availeble in Gmsh, but couldn't. Where do the binary saves the options
input? Can I edit this file?

Thanks,
Rudolf