[Gmsh] some precisions on stl import

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Fri Nov 14 19:19:28 CET 2008

Christophe Trophime wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to import some stl files in Gmsh and remesh them (I have
> not found how to do it). I try to load a stl file generated by Catia V5
> R16. Gmsh "only" loads 1 surface where netgen enables to load xx
> surfaces. Is it possible to distinguish the xx surfaces which defines
> the stl object in Gmsh?

Salut Christophe ! The latest nightly snapshots should load multiple stl
faces and tag them separately. Let us know if this doesn't work.

Gmsh will not remesh these faces, though. It's something we will
reintroduce at some point, but the remesher is not ready yet.

> I would also like to know if gmsh could be compiled with the latest
> OpenCascade version (6.3.0)?

Yes, you should be able to do it: I use 6.3.0 on my own machine.

We need to update the automatic build machines to 6.3.0, but this will
take some time as 6.3.0 does not work with g++ on Windows (it requires
Visual C++).