[Gmsh] problem with node numbers on partitions

Stephen Guzik sguzik at utias.utoronto.ca
Thu Dec 18 22:35:01 CET 2008

Umut Tabak wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to look at the node numbers from the graphical user
> interface for some mesh partitions.
>
> I selected options>Mesh
>
> And on the menu
>
> I checked nodes, node labels, volume edges, volume labels,  I also
> selected mesh partitions from the label type combo box. But with this
> selections I get the "NA" displayed for the node numbers. Did I do sth
> wrong?

No, that is right.  But currently only the highest dimension (DIM)
elements can be partitioned.  This information is then propagated to to
the next lowest dimension elements (DIM-1) but only for those that are
on the boundary of the domain.  The partition number is not stored
internally for vertices (and note that it would be ambiguous because a
vertex could straddle two or more partitions).

So for a 2-D mesh, surface labels will all have a partition number, and
otherwise, only edge labels *on the domain boundary* will have a
meaningful partition number.

Stephen