[Gmsh] meshing multiple objects

wing yongjin.liu at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 16:27:10 CET 2008

Christophe Geuzaine wrote:
> Felix Wolfheimer wrote:
>
>> Dear Christophe,
>>
>> thank you for the quick reply. The two (or more) solids model objects with
>> different material properties. Thus, I want to create a mesh that is
>> conformal to the material interface, such that a tetrahedron of the
>> generated mesh is located entirely in solid 1 or in solid 2 and,
>> additionally, the tetrahedrons at the interface region (the face where the
>> two solids touch) should share a common face. That is, the material
>> interface should be handled somehow as a single face shared by both solids.
>> However, in the file generated by the solid modeler the two solids are two
>> independent objects and, thus, the mesh is created independently for each of
>> the objects. It would be nice to know, if there is any easy way to modify
>> the step or iges file, such that a mesh with the properties described above
>> is created. Is there any option in gmsh which would allow the creation of
>> such a mesh directly from the step or iges file?
>>
>> Please find the file test.stp, which contains a very simple model of two
>> bricks where the one brick has been trimmed by the other.
>>

> The boundary of the first cube has not been correctly subdivided, which
> results in partially overlapping surfaces... which causes the 3D mesh to
> fail.
>

>> Thanks and best regards
>>
>> Felix

Hi all,
the problem of overlapping surfaces is just one point of Felix's
question. The other point is that he want multiple solids (volumes?) so
that he can apply material properties to different bodies.
I have the same question on this part. Say, I have a PCB (Printed
Circuit Board) with several components mounted on it. I want to conduct
a heat transfer simulation for this unit (PCB+components). I found that
because of the Christophe Geuzaine wrote:
> Felix Wolfheimer wrote:
>
>> Dear Christophe,
>>
>> thank you for the quick reply. The two (or more) solids model objects with
>> different material properties. Thus, I want to create a mesh that is
>> conformal to the material interface, such that a tetrahedron of the
>> generated mesh is located entirely in solid 1 or in solid 2 and,
>> additionally, the tetrahedrons at the interface region (the face where the
>> two solids touch) should share a common face. That is, the material
>> interface should be handled somehow as a single face shared by both solids.
>> However, in the file generated by the solid modeler the two solids are two
>> independent objects and, thus, the mesh is created independently for each of
>> the objects. It would be nice to know, if there is any easy way to modify
>> the step or iges file, such that a mesh with the properties described above
>> is created. Is there any option in gmsh which would allow the creation of
>> such a mesh directly from the step or iges file?
>>
>> Please find the file test.stp, which contains a very simple model of two
>> bricks where the one brick has been trimmed by the other.
>>

> The boundary of the first cube has not been correctly subdivided, which
> results in partially overlapping surfaces... which causes the 3D mesh to
> fail.
>

>> Thanks and best regards
>>
>> Felix

because of the overlapping surfaces I cannot mesh the PCB and the
components as separate solids. And when I model the PCB and components
as a single solid (just by boolean operation), the meshing is OK but I
cannot apply material properties (heat conductivity, surface emissivity,
etc.) to different components now because they are now a single solid.
Maybe this is a silly question, but, actually I was stuck here for a while.

Thanks in advance and happy new year.
wing