[Gmsh] Entity numbering

David Andrs andrsd at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 21:21:48 CET 2009

Hi!

We are using gmsh for post-processing purposes in our hp-FEM code hermes3d.

We number all mesh entities (elements, vertices, edges, faces) from zero
and we have the following problem with gmsh:

- We list the vertices in the $Nodes section, starting from 0, but the
vertex with the zeroth index is shown as 1.

- The same behavior with elements and $Elements section. If we use more
$Elements sections, than the zeroth entity is display with two, three,
etc. So it seems that the 0 has some special meaning (some sort of auto
increment?)

The file with the mesh for testing can be found on
http://spilka.math.unr.edu/~andrsd/ref.msh

Is there a possibility to turn off this auto-increment option and have
the entities numbered from 0? If not, could you consider implementing
such a feature?

The gmsh we are using is 2.2.5.

Thanks,
--