[Gmsh] linking OCC and GMSH?

Pierre JUILLARD pierre.juillard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 22:22:17 CET 2009

Hi all,

I recently wanted to open a stp file in GMSH, so I began to look for emails
with some information about the best way to do it.
I found some that were speaking about linking and compiling GMSH and OCC,
and was a little bit afraid.

I first decided to download and install the OCC package, then start GMSH and
see what would happen.
Maybe GMSH would recognize OCC environment variables or something, and that
would be done.

And actually, it worked...

That is really nice!
I would like however to know what happens when I started GMSH. Why were
previous e-mails speaking about linking and compiling?

- is GMSH 2.3.0 now shipped with a built-in stp file reader?
- or does it automatcially recognize OCC environment variables?

In such a case, as the OCC package is quite huge (I installed everything),
could you advice me about the necessary OCC packages to install in order to
read IGS/SETP/BREP files in GMSH, such that I can drop the others? (here is
enclosed the screen displayed during the OCC installation allowing some
choices)

I thank you in advance!
Regards,

Pierre