[Gmsh] Problem when meshing a very thin surface

CREVOISIER David david.crevoisier at cea.fr
Tue Feb 17 17:40:11 CET 2009

Good afternoon,

First, congratulations for the development of Gmsh, this tool has a lot
a great qualities.

I try to mesh several very thin surfaces, structured in a network of
cracks. Two large surfaces are situated on both sides to this network
and communicates with it. For large cracks, the mesh is correct (so I
think the file .geo is well defined, I can send the source files if
needed), but for thinner cracks (40e-6 m compared to a total domain of
10e-2 m for example), I am not able to use a characteristic length in
the cracks smaller than their size, Gmsh sends "segmentation fault" due
to 3 identical points in qtest and crashes. The options used for meshing
surface are plane, MeshAdapt+Delaunay, a very low geometry tolerance is
used and other options are standard. I know this case is complicated to
mesh, but would advanced options or particular strategies be able to
solve this problem?

Thank you for your time.

David Crevoisier.