[Gmsh] Postprocessing of cubic elements

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Sun Mar 29 13:00:17 CEST 2009

Martin Vymazal wrote:
> Hello gmsh users/developers,
>
>  I'm working on a high order discretization method for fluid flow. I
> really like some features that gmsh has to offer, especially the
> possibility to generate directly very high order elements. I'd also like
> to replace tecplot by gmsh as postprocessing software, but I'm stuck with
> the following problem: according to gmsh documentation. it is only
> possible to visualize solution on quadratic elements. My elements are
> cubic (generated by gmsh), but now I cannot postprocess my solution, it
> seems. Did I overlook something/would it be possible to add this
> functionality to gmsh?

Hi Martin - For triangle/tetrahedral grids everything is ready for
visualizing cubic nodal datasets: just write your post-processing file
in .msh format and you're good to go (cf. attached example). We will
generalize this to all other standard elements in the future.

For other types of elements you can still use the old .pos format and
write your interpolation matrices at the end of the file. There should
be an example on the mailing list.