[Gmsh] Peel Volume Mesh - Contact Mechanics

Konstantinos Poulios logari81 at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 25 00:35:46 CEST 2009

I intend to use gmsh for mesh generation in some contact mechanics modeling.
For that purpose I wrote a script which builds an extruded mesh of hexas for
my geometry. My problem is that the solver I use, needs the information
about groups of volume elements which are expected to take part in the
contact phenomenon. I would like to define a group of hexa elements which
have at least one node laying on a specific surface of my model.

The same objective for quad-elements would be very trivial through the
definition of a Physical Surface, where they should lay on. In case of
volume elements though, how could I group those which are adjacent to this
specific surface?

Thank you in advance.

Kostas

P.S. Is there anyone with experience in contact models using gmsh? I would
be thankful for any tip or link with examples.