[Gmsh] New Mesh.BdfElementPID Option

Konstantinos Poulios logari81 at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 31 12:58:56 CEST 2009

Hi all!

As an attachment I sent a patch adding a new option for the BDF file format.
Up to now the property id of elements exported in the BDF format corresponds
to id of the elementary entity to which the element belongs. In order to add
some flexibility to the translation of the gmsh native entities organization
to the bdf format, I added the option Mesh.BdfElementPID. I consider the
adoption of such an option very important, since it will help essentially
the definition of element groups in the exported bdf-file. For the option
values I followed the convention by the Mesh.ColorCarousel option:

*For Mesh.BdfElementPID = 0 :
The element type number is used as PID in the BDF-format

*For Mesh.BdfElementPID = 1 (default):
The elementary entity id is used as PID in the BDF-format (the same behavior
like the current status)

*For Mesh.BdfElementPID = 2 :
The physical entity id is used as PID in the BDF-format (if the element
belongs to more than one physical entities, the first one is considered)

*For Mesh.BdfElementPID = 3 :
The partition number is used as PID in the BDF-format

Please review my suggestion and give me feed back if I have to make some
modification for my patch to be accepted in gmsh.

After the acceptation of this suggestion I plan to add some more export
possibilities for the bdf format like, exporting a SET definition containing
all vertices (GRID) of every physical entity, or PSOLID and PSHELL templates
corresponding to the existing physical groups/ element types in the model.

My aim is to give the possibility of an easy by hand definition of boundary
conditions and loads in the exported bdf-file.

Regards

Kostas

P.S. among the attached files there are also some screenshots and examples
of bdf-files generated with the new option (in the last example a mesh
partition in 3 partitions has been used)