[Gmsh] Gmsh file format version 2.0/2.1 confusions as saved by Save As...?

Takuya OSHIMA oshima at eng.niigata-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 23 09:53:37 CET 2009

Hi,

When I do with versions 2.4.2 and 2.4.3-svn as of today

1. start gmsh, load any .geo file, create mesh
2. File -> Save As..
3. choose Gmsh mesh (*.msh), enter file name, OK
4. choose Version 2.0 ASCII, OK

Then the created .msh file does have the version 2.0 identifier in the
$MeshFormat section but has extra dimension information that should be
a new extension in 2.1 format in the $PhysicalNames section

$MeshFormat
2 0 8
$EndMeshFormat
$PhysicalNames
2
2 1 "Surfaces"
3 2 "Volume"
$EndPhysicalNames

. Furthermore, if I choose Version 2.0 Binary instead, gmsh writes

$MeshFormat
2.1 0 8
$EndMeshFormat
$PhysicalNames
2
2 1 "Surfaces"
3 2 "Volume"
$EndPhysicalNames

which seems valid this time, but contradicts with the "Version 2.0"
menu item description.

I see the behavior not only with the .geo files but with imported mesh
files (at least) in MED format. Is this intended?

Thanks,
Takuya

Takuya OSHIMA, Ph.D.
Faculty of Engineering, Niigata University
8050 Ikarashi-Ninocho, Nishi-ku, Niigata, 950-2181, JAPAN