[Gmsh] gmsh using H5Fed ?

Oswald Benedikt Benedikt.Oswald at psi.ch
Fri Dec 4 11:16:34 CET 2009

Dear gmsh developers

We have been using gmsh for a number of years now and we are very happy with it! Thanks for your effort!

Since at Paul Scherrer Institut we are extensively working in the field of computational electrodynamiocs, using finite element
time domain methods on tetrahedral grids, we have realized that there is no open, efficient and common format for storing
tetrahedral meshes, associated data etc.

That is why we have developed H5Fed which is now operational in serial mode. We have started to parallelize recently.

See the website: h5.psi.ch and http://h5.psi.ch/twiki/bin/view/Main/H5Fed/WebHome

Would you be interested to integrate H5Fed in gmsh ? H5Fed offers efficient storage of tetrahedral grids and all kinds of associated
data (using the hdf5 library as the underlying basis, www.hdfgroup.org). Also, H5Fed is an open source library with no strings
attached.

H5Fed offers an API so that you can easily read and write meshes, including meshes with hanging nodes,
and complete hierarchies of meshs, including again data associated with the different levels of the mesh.

I would be happy to discuss this with you, you could expect our full support and cooperation.

All the best greetings, Benedikt Oswald

Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch, Computational Accelerator Scientist
Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch, +41(0)56 310 32 12
"Passion is required for any great work, and for the Revolution passion and audacity are required in big doses.",
Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, Letter to his parents.
http://amas.web.psi.ch