[Gmsh] Renumbering midside nodes on loading of msh file (fixed)

Mark Starnes mark.starnes at fttech.co.uk
Thu Dec 17 13:38:27 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 12:30 +0000, David Colignon wrote:

> --
> David Colignon, Ph.D.
> Collaborateur Logistique du F.R.S.-FNRS
> CÉCI - Consortium des Équipements de Calcul Intensif
> ACE - Applied & Computational Electromagnetics
> Sart-Tilman B28
> Université de Liège
> 4000 Liège - BELGIQUE
> Tél: +32 (0)4 366 37 32
> Fax: +32 (0)4 366 29 10
> WWW:    http://hpc.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/
> Agenda: http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=david.colignon%40gmail.com
>

> On 17/12/09 12:21, Mark Starnes wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > First, thanks for the great software.  I've been using Gmsh for four
> > years now in favour of other commercial packages.  Please keep up the
> > good work!
> >
> > Now for my problem:
> >
> > With the script,
> >
> > $MeshFormat
> > 2.1 0 8
> > $EndMeshFormat
> > $Nodes
> > 6
> > 1 0 1 0
> > 2 0 0 0
> > 3 1 0 0
> > 4 0 0.5 0
> > 5 0.5 0 0
> > 6 0.5 0.5 0
> > $EndNodes
> > $Elements
> > 1
> > 11 9 3 39 93 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
> > $EndElements

> > agreeing with the script above.
> >
> > However, with my copy of Versions 2.3.1 and 2.4.2, on loading, the
> > Message Console shows gmsh has remeshed the element (without my
> > requesting it) and the midside
> > node numbers have changed.  Saving the default options with the two
> > cases generates identical option files, and I can't
> > find a way to prevent the newer gmsh versions re-meshing on load.
> >
> > Trying the same experiment with a fresh installation of 2.4.2 under
> > windows works as hoped.
> >

> > Can anybody help?  Is there a configuration file I'm unaware of?
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> There are two possible configuration files you should look for:  .gmsh-options  and  .gmshrc
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

Thanks Dave.  Moving those two files from my home directory, elsewhere,
fixed the issue.

Best regards,

Mark.

FT Technologies Limited is registered in England and Wales under registered number 01603909. Its registered office is at Church Lane, Teddington, Middlesex, TW11 8PA.
The information in this message is confidential and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you should not disclose, use or copy this information. Please contact the sender immediately if you have received this message in error.