[Gmsh] file format

Rui Maciel rui.maciel at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 19:45:50 CET 2010

oka wrote:
> Dear Rui Maciel,
>
> Thank you so much for quick response.
> 4 5 0 1 2 1 -4
> about 1 2 1 -4, manual has no explanation.
> I guess
> 2 means this mesh in overlap region
> 1 means partition number
> -4 means overlap facing opposite mesh number (4)
> Is this true ?

Considering that the <element tags> field taken from the example element entry
consists of the following set of tokens:

5 0 1 2 1 -4

According to the MSH ASCII file format reference, those tokens should be
interpreted as:

5 => number of tags present in this element's tag field

0 => physical entity reference

1 => geometrical entity reference

2 => mesh partition reference

1 => undocumented

-4 => undocumented and, according to the manual, invalid.

To be sure it would probably be better to dig through Gmsh's MSH export
routine.  I've took a crack at it but unfortunately I was unable to find the
exact code which exports that part of the document.  Still, in alterantive you
could simply ignore those offending tags, as the remaining info is still valid
and it's still possible to resume parsing without any major consequences.

Hope this helps,
Rui Maciel