[Gmsh] partitioning in gmsh -- repost

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Sun Oct 17 11:58:24 CEST 2010

On 15/10/10 23:30, Umut Tabak wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I asked the question given in the link below but no replies have
> appeared so far. So it is time to fire again ;-)

Hello Umut!

> http://www.geuz.org/pipermail/gmsh/2010/005773.html

I've had a quick look at your files. To answer your two questions:

* currently the partitioner creates an actual topology for the
partitioned model, hence the new line elements (with the negative
numbers) in the output file. The option to change this is currently
hardcoded (see createPartitionBoundaries in Mesh/meshPartitionOptions.h)

* currently Gmsh always renumbers the elements when writing a mesh file.
We should maybe provide an option not to touch the numering...

As yiou can see the partitioning code in Gmsh is just not flexible
enough at the moment. It might thus be easier/faster for you to just
write your own little wrapper around Metis to partition your meshes
according to your criteria?