[Gmsh] Optimization problem related to random generator function?

Cesar Tirado ctirado at miners.utep.edu
Fri Nov 5 00:32:49 CET 2010

Hi,
I've been running gmsh to generate a 3D mesh of a pavement section of
the file that I am attaching using the following command
gmsh Geometry3D.geo -3 -optimize -v 0
In some computers I have been encountering problems generating the mesh
while in others the mesh is generated without any problem.  Sometimes,
depending on the computer, I get a "Runtime Error !" window or it
freezes producing no error window.  For this last case if I don't use
the verbose mode gmsh keeps displaying messages that indicate it is
running the optimization and that process continues for a long period of
time and seems to keep running until I kill the process, we don't know
if that process ever finishes or if it's stuck in a cyclic process.
Even the same case might work on the same computer one day and not work
on another.

I also tried using netgen (gmsh Geometry3D.geo -3 -optimize_netgen -v
0), and a similar thing happened: In some computers where I had problems
it seemed to work fine by generating the mesh while in others did not,
and then on the other hand, the error appeared in some computers that
had no problems before.

I also tried defining the algorithm del3d or front3d (gmsh
Geometry3D.geo -3 -algo front3d -optimize -v 0) and sometimes it seems
to help, but still I haven't been able to find something stable.  I must
add that I am using 32bit processor for all computers and the same
operating system (Windows XP SP3). I've tried two different versions of
GMSH (2.5 and 2.4.2).
Is this related to a random generator function or a floating point
comparison problem? Is there a way to avoid this issue?