[Gmsh] Compilation of Gmsh2.5 fails with "Bad File Number"

Tibi Chelcea TChelcea at transim.com
Fri Dec 3 23:41:31 CET 2010

I'm trying to compile Gmsh 2.5 for Windows. I'm using the MSys compilation. The configuration, Makefile generation step, and compilation of individual files work without any problems. However, the compilation crashes in the linking stage with this message:

/bin/sh: /c/MinGW/bin/g++.exe: Bad file number
make[2]: *** [gmsh.exe] Error 126
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/work/tools/gmsh-2.5.0-source/build'
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/gmsh.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/work/tools/gmsh-2.5.0-source/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I've searched on the internet for an answer to this, but there's only scant information (it seems that the issue might be that the command line is too long for g++, but it's not clear).

I'm wondering (a) if there's a known fix for this and (b) in which environment has the distributed binary been compiled? With what flags?

I've tried to use Visual C++ 9.0, but configuration fails because I don't have the ifort compiler (which seems to cost $$$). Is there some other fortran compiler that works with VC++ 9.0 (and it's free)?

In fact, I've noticed that the fortran compiler is not called at all during compilation. Is there some way to bypass checking for Fortran compilers?

Thanks,
Tibi