[Gmsh] gmsh: bundled libraries

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 03:02:52 CET 2010

Hi all,

I've just been looking into packaging gmsh for Gentoo, and noticed a
few oddities
around the build which I thought I'd share with you.

First off, I see that gmsh has lots of stuff bundled in ./contrib/.
While that's handy for the one-shot user, package maintainers are
usually somewhat skeptical about that. Reason for this include the fact
that the bundled libraries are libraries in their own right, and may
as well be installed on the system independently. Making use of system
libraries avoids having libraries installed several times on one
system, avoid the license mix-up, avoid falling behind on releases of
bundled libraries. METIS alone is used by so many packages; why
not make gmsh depend on it too?

What's your view on this?

Cheers,
Nico