[Gmsh] gmsh: bundled libraries

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Fri Jan 14 14:12:50 CET 2011

On 12/12/10 03:02, Nico Schlömer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just been looking into packaging gmsh for Gentoo, and noticed a
> few oddities
> around the build which I thought I'd share with you.
>
> First off, I see that gmsh has lots of stuff bundled in ./contrib/.
> While that's handy for the one-shot user, package maintainers are
> usually somewhat skeptical about that. Reason for this include the fact
> that the bundled libraries are libraries in their own right, and may
> as well be installed on the system independently. Making use of system
> libraries avoids having libraries installed several times on one
> system, avoid the license mix-up, avoid falling behind on releases of
> bundled libraries. METIS alone is used by so many packages; why
> not make gmsh depend on it too?
>
> What's your view on this?

We should indeed remove from contrib/ the libs that could be used "as
is", and for which we can safely assume that we can support the various
stable versions.

Unfortunately at the moment many of the libs in contrib have had to be
modified for use with Gmsh. We will definitely try to reduce this number
in the future.

Best,

Christophe