[Gmsh] 2D mesh generation problem

Paavo Mäkelä pamakela at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 17:59:13 CET 2011

Hi,

I have had a working workflow for making 2D meshes from trimmed NURBS
geometry made in Aliasstudio. I use the Elmer solver to perform flow
simulations.

I recently continued my work on my personal design project and noticed that
GMSH will produce meshes that contain 3 dimensional elements (as per Elmer
software's log) and sometimes Elmer software detects 3 dimensional mesh,
even though the original geometry is/was a 2D plane! What am I doing wrong
here? Loading the original IGES file straight into Elmer software results in
2D mesh with 2D elements which implies the exported cad file is Ok (but
because elmer can't handle trimmed 2d NURBS planes, I must always go through
Gmsh). I think only 2D elements should be generated if you only use the 2D
meshing functionality in Gmsh? I can post my IGES file if there is need for
that.

Regards,

PM