[Gmsh] Problem with cutgrid plugin

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Fri Mar 25 08:09:25 CET 2011

On 25/03/11 07:38, Christophe Geuzaine wrote:
> On 25/03/11 04:30, Lachlan Mason wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having problems when using the cutgrid plugin to make a line
>> profile though a scalar field. The sample ".msh" file containing the
>> mesh is attached with the ".opt" options file used for the cutgrid
>> plugin.
>>
>> When I make a two-dimensional plot of the scalar field value over a
>> range of x-coordinates the profile is identically zero (ie. 0) for
>> particular regions of x-coordinate points. This is shown in the ".png"
>> file attached.
>
> Indeed, I can reproduce the problem here. I will investigate.

I think I understand the problem: in addition to triangles your mesh
contains "line" elements for each edge of the mesh. The CutGrid plugin
uses an octree to find to which element a "cut point" belongs; sometimes
it returns a line element, to which no value is associated in the
postprocessing view.

Not sure how we should fix this...