[Gmsh] Mesh Code/Source for Heat Transfer

Anthony Chong Anthony.Chong at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 17:31:10 CEST 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a researcher from Nottingham, UK. Thanks for the free Gmsh
software.

I am currently working on a project which is about the ground-coupled
heat exchanger model. The model is used to simulate the heat transfer
process of surrounding soil of the circular pipe, where heat is
extracted or generated within the circular pipe. I will need to write a
code (in C++) to simulate the transient heat transfer for the pipe (i.e.
circular cylindrical) within soil (i.e. rectangular domain model).

Because I have little experience in using the Gmsh software to generate
mesh and also a beginner of using C++ programming language, I am writing
you to ask for advice on the solutions to the following problems or
giving me some ideas about how to solve the problems. I have produced
the model and its mesh. Please see attached the file.

The following are my problems which I need your advice on:-

(1) After the mesh has been generated, can I read or view the mesh
code/source coordinate data?

(2) Once I have got the mesh code/source coordinate data, how would I be
able to transfer or link these data into my C++ program?

As mentioned, I will be using transient heat transfer equation in
cylindrical polar coordinate system to determine the heat transfer
effect of the circular pipe. The equation shows as below:

Another thing is that, I have downloaded the Gmsh 2.5.0 Source Code from
your website, and I am wondering how I shall read this source code, and
whether I can link/use one of the codes into my simulation model (or
mesh model) from the Source Code?

It would be very much appreciated if you can advise on the above
questions. Once again, thank you for your help and look forward to
hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Anthony Chong

Research Fellow

Department of Architecture and Built Environment

Faculty of Engineering

The University of Nottingham

University Park

Nottingham