[Gmsh] Problem with mesh refinement

Alessandro Vicini a.vicini at alta-space.com
Fri Apr 8 11:03:57 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I have the 3d mesh shown in the attached picture (grid.jpg). The overall
dimensions are a few centimeters in each directions, and units are mm.
The second picture, tip.jpg, shows a detail of the tip; the length of the
flat part of this tip is a few microns. As you can see, in the mesh I get
just one single element over the flat part, and one single element over the
fillet between the tip and the sides. I would like to increase the mesh
refinement here, but if I diminish the local characteristic length beyond
this value the program crashes while generating the 2D mesh (the typical
message I get is "3 points equal in Q test"). The geometry tolerance set
under Tools->Geometry->General is 1e-12.
Is there some way to work this around? Thank you very much.

Regards,

Alessandro