[Gmsh] importing .step files with multiple parts whose surfacestouch

Zenker, Dr. Matthias Matthias.Zenker at erbe-med.com
Mon Apr 11 10:01:14 CEST 2011

Hi Brent,

GiD can import Parasolid format, which is what I have used. GiD then collapses the surfaces for simpler cases, but I have experienced problems (crashes) for more complicated geometries. IF you get your geometry imported, you have to create different layers for the bodies and surfaces you want to have represented in your final mesh, otherwise it will create just one body with an outer surface. For questions, there is a mailing list (see http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/gidlist). It normally takes one or two days before you get an answer, but you get one.
I have given up on GiD because it doesn't handle my case - they have finally managed to import my geometry, but not to collapse it.

So I have returned to my 2D mesh processor and have managed to collapse duplicate surfaces, but only if the meshes on the surface border lines match and if there are no partial overlaps between surfaces. The next step is to solve those two remaining problems. If I manage to do that, we might have a solution within gmsh.

Matthias