[Gmsh] 2nd order tetrahedral elements in Gmsh

Serban.Georgescu at uk.fujitsu.com Serban.Georgescu at uk.fujitsu.com
Mon May 9 12:00:27 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I have recently started using Gmsh and I've bumped into the following problem. I hope there is someone who can help me sort it out.

As far as I know, the usual way of generating 2nd order tetrahedral elements is to add a new degree of freedom in the middle of every edge of a 1st order element. From what I see, in the case of the 2nd order meshes generated using Gmsh, these middle nodes are moved from their default location, e.g. in order to better approximate a curved boundary. I know this is a good feature, but the FEM solver that I am using does not support such elements.
Is there a way to turn this feature off? What I mean is, is there a way to generate "usual" meshes, with the middle nodes positioned exactly in the middle of the edges?

Thanks!
Serban

 Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
 Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE
 Registered No. 4153469

 This e-mail and any attachments are for the sole use of addressee(s) and
 may contain information which is privileged and confidential. Unauthorised
 use or copying for disclosure is strictly prohibited. The fact that this
 e-mail has been scanned by Trendmicro Interscan does not guarantee that
 it has not been intercepted or amended nor that it is virus-free.