[Gmsh] Random behaviour in Gmsh

Serban.Georgescu at uk.fujitsu.com Serban.Georgescu at uk.fujitsu.com
Thu May 26 10:14:34 CEST 2011

Hi Geordie and thanks for your quick reply.

> Are you optimizing the mesh? This isn't done by default but can be
> quite important for subsequent finite element analysis.

For this particular test case I was not optimizing the mesh. I am aware of the fact that optimizing the mesh will in general lead to better results, however the fact that I get a different result still does not change and that is the real problem.

> Dipl.-Ing. A. P. reported a few weeks ago being able to fix the
> randomness by meshing from the command line.  I haven't tried it, but
> it seems like an easy fix.

I have read the post, but in my case this behavior appears from the command line as well. Going inside the source code I saw plenty of calls to rand() ... that's why I was thinking about fixing the seed.

Cheers,
Serban