[Gmsh] Including beam (line) elements in mesh

Daniel A Lemus dlemus at purdue.edu
Sun Jul 10 01:56:22 CEST 2011

Hello forum,

Currently I am attempting to create a mesh including both beam (line) elements and shell (surface) elements. I have included the surfaces as part of a physical group, as well as the lines which I wish to use. I have also included a physical group which includes the points connecting these beam elements, just in case. The purpose of these line elements is to apply a displacement using the finite element software Code_Aster.
Code_Aster has the ability to apply loads and displacements on these line elements, but it appears that Gmsh is unable to include lines into a mesh; only surfaces and volumes, or at least that is my case. When I create a mesh off of my geometry script, only the surfaces are meshed. There are no mesh lines where the line elements should be. Is there any way to fix this? Or will I just have to live with the fact that Gmsh can only mesh surfaces and volumes?

Thank you,

Daniel