[Gmsh] Load a partial mesh into Gmsh

Tibi Chelcea tibich72 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 23:53:58 CEST 2011

I'm working on a system that simulates a family of components; these
components are fixed (as in modeled once, and then re-used again and again),
but the heatsinks attached to them are user-defined. Gmsh takes a long time
to mesh this system, so I'd like to cut down the time used for meshing. I
was wondering whether it's possible to use Gmsh as follows:
- Pre-mesh each of the components and save these meshes
- Then, when meshing the entire system (a component + an user-defined
heatsink), Gmsh loads the mesh for the component, and meshes only the
heatsink.

Is this possible to do? I've seen some mentioning of "background mesh" in
the documentation, but there is very little on that, and it's not clear
whether it does what I'd like or how to define it.

Any hint/help is really appreciated.
Tibi Chelcea