[Gmsh] Save options file upon exit automatically?

Christophe Henrard Christophe.Henrard at samtech.com
Thu Jul 28 10:48:37 CEST 2011

Hello,

Thanks again for your answer. I totally agree with you: it's sometimes
hard to find a scripting equivalent to some of the GUI commands. I do
something very similar to you in terms of saving options and restarting
with a script that reloads them. And I must say that I'm quite happy
with it so far.
But in order to be even more efficient, I wanted gmsh to automatically
save the options upon exit (as if I had done it with the menus) and
then, my script would ask me if I want to keep these options or not for
next time. It might be available in one of the next releases ;-)

Christophe
<addbook:add?action=add?vcard=begin%3Avcard%0D%0Afn%3AChristophe%20Henrard%0D%0An%3AHenrard%3BChristophe%0D%0Aorg%3ASamtech%20s.a.%0D%0Aadr%3Bquoted-printable%3A%3B%3BRue%20des%20Chasseurs%20Ardenais%2C%208%3BLi%3DC3%3DA8ge%3B%3B4031%3BBelgium%0D%0Aemail%3Binternet%3AChristophe.Henrard%40samtech.com%0D%0Atitle%3AR%26D%20Engineer%0D%0Atel%3Bwork%3A+32%280%294.361.69.69%0D%0Atel%3Bfax%3A+32%280%294.361.69.80%0D%0Aurl%3Ahttp%3A//www.samtech.com%0D%0Aversion%3A2.1%0D%0Aend%3Avcard>
On 28-Jul-11 1:25 AM, Geordie McBain wrote:
> 2011/7/27 Christophe Henrard<Christophe.Henrard at samtech.com>:
>> Hello,
>> Thanks Goerdie for your reply. I tried your idea. Even though I had gone
>> through all the option parameters, it seemed I had skipped that one. Anyway,
>> it partially works: some general options are saved in the "OptionFileName"
>> and some others in "SessionFileName". Unfortunately, it only saves a very
>> small number of options. I thought it was only the "modified options" (since
>> you can change that in a dialog box when you manually save options) but it's
>> not even that. In particular, the camera view (General.RotationX/Y,
>> ScaleX/Y/Z, TranslationX/Y, Trackball), and Graphics windows and clipping
>> planes are not saved. Any idea how to save all the options?
> No, sorry, I'm out of ideas.
>
> I do have to address this issue quite often, as I'll want to make a
> set of images with exactly the same viewpoint etc.  What I do is set
> the first up manually in the GUI, manually save the options file, and
> then use that saved options file for the rest.
>
> Sometimes I find that there are things that can be done easily enough
> in the GUI but don't have obvious scripting equivalents.  Here saving
> the options is one.  Another earlier this year
> <http://www.geuz.org/pipermail/gmsh/2011/006145.html>  was
> `Tools/Plugins/New view'.  Gmsh does have a nice GUI as GUIs go, but I
> prefer scripting wherever possible.  Hopefully someone else will have
> hit on the answer and will post it here.

believed to be clean.