[Gmsh] Regular elements from a line extruded around a curve.

Mark Starnes mark.starnes at fttech.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 13:58:49 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

I would like to generate a mesh of identical triangles, by extruding a transfinite line:
one end of the line is stationary, the other runs around an arc.

I attempted,

Mesh.ElementOrder = 2;
Mesh.Optimize = 1;
Mesh.Smoothing = 4;
Point(1) = {0,0,0};
Point(2) = {1,0,0};
Line(1) = {1,2};
Transfinite Line(1) = 2;
Extrude {{0, 1, 0}, {0, 0, 0}, Pi/2} {Line{1}; Layers{4};}

but this generates dissimilar triangles around the sweep, unless I
use `Optimize high order 2D planar meshes (experimental)'.  This
breaks other parts of my mesh (not described here), however.

I'm wondering if this behaviour is due to a setting I've made and
forgotten about, and/or if there is a way to force the regular triangles.

Thanks in advance for this great tool.

Best regards,

Mark.

(gmsh v2.5.1-svn)