[Gmsh] How to obtain small characteristic length in specific area of geometry?

John Parkin jdp37 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Oct 13 18:20:13 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've been successfully using gmsh for some time, but now I would like to
specify a much denser mesh around one of the structures in my geometry. I
have tried using the boundary layer, box, and attractor fields to control
the characteristic length but they seem to be having no effect on the
generated mesh.

Attached is my geometry, I would like to have a characteristic length in the
region of 1e-8 around the cantilever (or 'diving board') feature in the
centre of the geometry. Is this characteristic length too small I wonder?
How should I achieve the desired effect? The attached file has the boundary
layer that I would like to use, but it has no effect on the mesh density.

Thank You in advance for any pointers you can share with me.

Regards,
John Parkin

--
PhD Student to Dr G. Haehner