[Gmsh] a problem about physical line

Gao, Xu (S&T-Student) xg2z7 at mail.mst.edu
Fri Nov 4 00:51:59 CET 2011

Hi professor,

I  am phd student from Missouri University of S&T.

First thanks for your excellent work on this mesh generator, it helped me a lot.

I have a problem when I use gmsh 2.5.0.

I specified a physical line with type 111 for example. And after meshing any line segment in this line should have the same type 111. This is no problem when I did 2D meshing. This line is meshed into 24 segments, for example, all 24 segments in this line are shown in .msh file with type 111.

However, if I did 3D meshing, this line will be meshed into more segments, maybe 48 segments. I expect to see 48 line element in .msh file with type 111. But I still only see 24 line elements with type 111 just same as I did after 2D meshing.

It seems the physical line command only works for 2D meshing.

Is there any way to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Xu