[Gmsh] Extruded spline surfaces show mesh artifacts near edges.

Mark Starnes anothr.acc at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 1 16:47:26 CET 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm using an extruded spline to define a surface.
On meshing, most of the surface is fine but there
is behaviour I don't understand near the internal
point of the spline.  This example shows something
similar:

lc=0.001;
Point(1) = {0,0,0,lc};
Point(2) = {0.05,0,0,lc};
Point(3) = {0.05-0.001,0.005,0,lc};
Spline(5) = {2, 3, 1};
Extrude {{0, 1, 0}, {0, 0, 0}, Pi/4} {Line{5};}

... the elements near the internal spline point
have edges that have left the surface and jumped
across.  To be honest, this example is extreme;
my real case merely shows a mesh of density that
changes near my internal spline points.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for this great software.

Best regards,