[Gmsh] Gmsh build on RHEL4 is mssing GUI!

Jamshid Gharib jdgharib at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 06:01:24 CET 2012

Dear Christophe,

Good evening from San Jose, California.
I am hoping you have a little spare time to help me out with my Gmsh problem,
namely, my built Gmsh on a RHEL4 (Redhat Enterprse Linux v4) has no GUI!
The problem is most likely due to my unfamiliarity with Gmsh as well as cmake,
but I hope you can graciously tell me how I can solve the problem.
Thanks in adavance for all your help.

Following is a somewhat detailed description of the problem.
The Linux binary on the Gmsh site failed to run on my Linux machine with the
following message:
   ... /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.1' not found ...
I suspect this is due to Gmsh binary being built with a newer version
of library.
My linux is an old machine running 32bit RHEL4. Here is uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.9-42.EL #1 Wed Jul 12 23:16:43 EDT
2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I thought no problem and went ahead and built Gmsh from its source
file (version 2.5.0).
In building Gmsh, I used all defaults; all seemed to go well and gmsh executable
was created. However, my resulting gmsh executable has no GUI!
For example, trying the follwoing:
  gmsh PanelPatch.bdf
the follwoing are displayed:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Info    : Running
'/tmp/scsi1/z-ztmpdir/z-t1/gmsh-2.5.0-source/z-build/gmsh
PanelPatch.bdf' [1 node(s), max. 1 thread(s)]
Info    : Started on Thu Feb 16 13:56:47 2012
Info    : Reading 'PanelPatch.bdf'...
Info    : 18 vertices
Info    : Done reading 'PanelPatch.bdf'
Info    : Stopped on Thu Feb 16 13:56:47 2012
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I dug into stuff on Gmsh webpage and internet, and found that Gmsh uses
FLTK for its GUI. I then checked the log file of Gmsh nighhtly build and saw
in the file, there are references to Fltk being looked for and its objects being
created. For example:
-- Found Fltk
-- Using fltk-config script for Fltk 1.3

However, when I examined my cmake results (copy attached for your inspection),
I noticed that there is NO reference to Fltk stuff at all, which I
suppose is the
reason reason why my built Gmsh has no GUI.
As you can see from the attached log file, my Gmsh configuration does NOT
have any reference to Fltk, whereas the Gmsh nightly log does.

What am I doing wrong? Could the problem be that FLTK is pehaps not
installed on my machine? How can check this out?
I greatly appreciate any help you can give me to fix this problem and
get my Gmsh
to have the GUI as it should.
Thanks.

Best Regards,