[Gmsh] anisostropic meshing / bamg algorithm

Zenker, Dr. Matthias Matthias.Zenker at erbe-med.com
Wed Feb 29 18:14:47 CET 2012

Hi,

I still do not succeed in creating an anisotropic mesh as I would like to. My problem is as follows:
I have a structure consisting of several stacked layers of different thickness (see attached file for an example). In the x-y plane, the mesh can be rather coarse (say the same with for all geometric layers), whereas in z direction, I would like to have at least 2 layers of mesh elements per geometry layer. This means that the mesh width in z direction should be small inside a thin layer, and can be wider inside a wide layer (e.g. the one at the bottom). How do I achieve this? I have tried to use the MathEvalAniso field, and I have succeeded to create an anisotropic mesh for a simple cube. But I do not fully understand from the reference manual how to use this field the right way - my math knowledge seems not to be enough to understand from the Wikipedia article what the metric tensor does. I would need the mesh width to depend on z, resp. on the geometric layer, so I would have to declare several Aniso fields and attach them somehow to the layers of my structure.

Could someone give me some hints on how to proceed here?

Thank you in advance,

Matthias