[Gmsh] Remesh STL with constraint on edge length / area

Domingo Chavez azrael3000 at gmx.net
Wed Aug 22 10:15:26 CEST 2012

Hi Christophe,

thanks for your reply.

> Using the (isotropic) Frontal algorithm you will get
> triangles as close as possible to equilateral, with edge lengths prescribed by
> the mesh size field.

I tried two different things.

1.) Mesh.CharacteristicLengthMax = 0.0275
As already noted here: http://geuz.org/pipermail/gmsh/2011/006136.html
this does not really work.

2.) As you were talking about the mesh size field, I added a field:
Field[1] = MathEval;
Field[1].F = "0.0275";
Background Field = 1;
That gave me the same result as 1.)

So it appears that that the constraint is ok inside a larger triangle, but close to the edges of my STL triangles the edge length is up to 0.116. Please excuse me if I'm missing something obvious here but I'm from the meshfree community, so I don't have any experience with meshing.

> If you start from an unclassified STL mesh, you can use the
> "Mesh->Reclassify 2D" tool to automatically split the STL into patches depending on some
> angle threshold between adjacent triangles.

That works really nicely. Just one small question, I guess it's not possible to do this automatically inside a .geo file.

Best regards,
Arno