[Gmsh] sweeping through a mode shape view

Geordie McBain gdmcbain at freeshell.org
Tue Aug 28 09:25:24 CEST 2012

2012/8/28 jean pierre aubry <jeanpierre at lamachine.fr>:
> Le Mon, 27 Aug 2012 18:21:39 +0200,
> Geordie McBain <gdmcbain at freeshell.org> a écrit :
>
>> 2012/8/27 jean pierre aubry <jeanpierre at lamachine.fr>:
>> > hello
>> >
>> > when i do a modal analysis in Code_Aster, with, let's say, 20 modes
>> > saved in a med file
>> > in Gmsh for every single calculated mode i can only
>> > see the maximum deformed shape for each mode
>> > is it possible to show on the screen an animation for each mode
>> > (with a sin function maybe)
>> > i admit it is mostly useful to show to the customer, but!
>> >
>> > the sweep button at the bottom of the screen will sweep thru the 20
>> > calculated mode max values which is meaningless
>> >
>> > is that possible ?
>>
>> Hello.  Yes, it is, and it's pretty easy and the results look good
>> too.  The technique used to be in some of the tutorial material, I
>> think, but now I can't find it.  Something more graphical than the
>> tutorial/t1.geo, etc.  So I can't give you a proper reference, but the
>> basic idea is to use a For-loop in a Gmsh script incrementing the
>> View.DisplacmentFactor with the phase, as follows.
>>
>> %<---
>> For frame In {1:Frames}
>>   View[1].DisplacementFactor = Sin (2 * Pi * frame/Frames);
>>   Print Sprintf ("sloshing-%03g.png", frame);
>> EndFor
>> --->%
>>
>> This isn't a complete working example, but hopefully is enough to
>> suggest what needs to be done.
>

> hello Geordie
>
> thanks for your example looks like tutorial t8 isnt it

Yes, that has the For-loop, but not the other ingredient,
View.DisplacementFactor, which doesn't appear in the current set of
tutorials but is what's needed to make the modes come alive.  It is
documented briefly in the manual though, and is reasonably visible in
the GUI.  It's looks great and is very easy to use, so would make a
nice example if someone were to produce one and write it up.
(Unfortunately my complete sloshing example involved a confidential
geometry, so I can't share it.)

> i forgot to  explain that i had like to perform this feature with
> a .med file

Sorry, can't help you there, no experience with .med files (yet).  And
sorry, I should have realized you were familiar with elementary
commands like For and View.DisplacementFactor.

Best wishes,

Geordie