[Gmsh] fedora packaging and gmsh/contrib sources

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Fri Oct 26 09:31:23 CEST 2012

On 22 Oct 2012, at 14:50, Andre Massing <andre.massing at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Gmsh developer
>
> We are very interested in packaging Gmsh for Fedora (and for its
> relatives, enterprise linux based distros) and making
> Gmsh easier accessible for a broader audience.

Dear Andre,

That would be great!

> Since the Fedora packaging policy only allows to bundle 3rd party
> libraries in exceptional cases, we would like to ask you a few
> questions about the use and the origin of the sources resided in the
> gmsh/contrib folder:
>
> - -HighOrderMeshOptimizer
>
> Is this an official, separate module of gmsh and if so, it is licensed
> under the same license as gmsh? If the sources originate from other
> 3rd party code, could you point out where the original sources can be
> obtained and whether they have been modified in the gmsh sources?

This is currently under heavy development; the final license has not be chosen yet.

> - -lbfgs from the ALGLIB project - http://www.alglib.net/
> Are the sources in gmsh modified or could the original sources be used
> in principal?

Yes, it's the same code.

> - - mmg3d,  MMG3D from
> http://www.math.u-bordeaux1.fr/~cdobrzyn/logiciels/mmg3d.php

Same code, with a few patches to make it compile on Windows/Mac.

> Are the sources in gmsh modified or could the original sources be used?
>
> - - Salome
> Are the sources in gmsh modified or could the original sources be used?

Same code, with a few patches to make it compile with recent versions of open cascade (patches might have made their way into the original code, too).

Cheers,

Christophe